Heyheyhey!

A peek into the twisted mind of a Natural Born Geek! Learn the shocking truth ! Run away crying in agony ! Gasp at the horror! Showing nationwide in all respectable cinema outlets.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Revenge of the Sith Premiere

I was lucky enough to have contacts who has contacts with tickets to the first showing of Star Wars Episode Three in Malaysia to the public (12:01 AM, Wed night/Thurs morning).

SW Ep III Premiere Posted by Hello


So there I was pumped up as hell, not caring that I was going to have to be in the office tomorrow morning at 7:30 AM sharp.

This is it man.


24 years of being a lifelong fan and this is it.


The end of a journey.


The last Star Wars movie.


The last prequel.


The one that's gonna show how Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader. The one that charts the Jedi Council's downfall and the rise of the Sith. Emperor Palpatine's ascension and the destruction of the Galactic Republic as we know it.


But then I digress too much.


My main hope going into this premiere is:

PLEASE DON'T SUCK! PLEASE DON'T SUCK!! PLEASE DON'T SUCK!!!


*Enters movie theater with bated breath and a lifelong of expectations*
--------------------


Well....long story short...it was O.K. for a Prequel finale.


It's not the best out of all 6 Star Wars movies, but i would definitely rate it as the best out of all three Star Wars prequels.

On my first sitting, I have to say I can overlook the clunky dialogue here and there and focus on the superb action instead.

From the opening trail of the Alpha-versions of the Star Destroyers (reminiscent of Episode 4's opening trail) 'til the end with the duel on Mustafar between Obi-Wan and Anakin; I was entranced.


It hurt me inside when I realised the final good bye exchanged between Obi-Wan and Anakin at the space port before Obi-Wan left on a mission to hunt Grievious would be the last time they would part as friends.


The next time they would meet would be under different circumstances. On the planet Mustafar, one pitted against the other; to the death.


It was like watching a tragic accident and you as the viewer was powerless to stop it. All you could do was watch as the events unfolded slowly in front of your eyes in horrifying detail and clarity.

And my god...there was WOOKIES !

I nearly stood up in the cinema and bellowed out a Wookie War-cry myself (Arroooo!) when the Battle Leader came on screen and motivated his fellow wookies into battle with a resoundingly loud Wookie roar.

It was only the fact that I was watching the premiere with local celebs sitting in front of me (Linda Jasmine from Akademi Fantasia fame and Jeslina 'Britney Spears Malaysia' Hashim) that stopped me from acting out my inner geek.

There was less political wranglings by Palpatine, the Ani & Padme love scenes are STILL hammy and forced, but there was SHETLOADS of lightsaber duels this time around.

And Thank God (!) for the last 20 minutes of the movie.

Lucas ended the trilogy with a superb note by retro-actively making the scenes and set more in line with the Original trilogy. From the crappier technology and settings reminiscent to Lucas' budget in the 70's (the panels and computer screens looked SO fake and plastic) to that last shot of Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen holding Baby Luke amongst the backdrop of the Tattoine farm and the twin sunsets.

It moved me so much and reminded me of tha first time we get to meet 19 yr old Luke in Episode Four, on the same farm, during a similiar twin-sunset looking of into the distance as though realising that his destiny is going to be far bigger than this dusty, arid planet.

Damn I can't wait to go see Episode III again...and again...and again !