Heyheyhey!

A peek into the twisted mind of a Natural Born Geek! Learn the shocking truth ! Run away crying in agony ! Gasp at the horror! Showing nationwide in all respectable cinema outlets.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Rat Race 2005


Rat Race 2005 Posted by Picasa


The day: Tuesday, 06/09/05

The event:
The Annual Rat Race held by Bursa Malaysia, where people in the finance industry and its market participants sends volunteers from their company/banks to run in a charity event where the money raised would be put to good use for some home/poverty fund.

The reluctant participant: Suffering Lil Ol’ ME !

O.k. in retrospect, I profess I didn’t KNOW what I was thinking when I joked to the event recruiter about entering the Rat Race. Blame it on extra hormone dispersal caused by wanting to please women, making me mad for a mere second to even contemplate running 5km in the heat of the day in the middle of the KL financial district!

Let alone the fact that I’d have to be doing said running IN my office workclothes!

Saints above.....what have I done?? Opening my big mouth like that....

Women....can’t live with ‘em....can’t live without ‘em either! ;-p

O.k., o.k., women issues aside, I gotta say it FELT like a good idea when I initially thought about it. I mean hey...it’s a charity event for crying out loud...and exercise is ALWAYS good for the body and to a lesser extent the mind. (oh how wrong I could be.....just read on!)

Come the day of the event, I was cursing internally every few seconds or so as the heat of the KL concrete jungle permeated me and flushed my skin with a thin layer of sweat. Let’s not even talk about the dehydration (my throat’s SO dry!) and the perma-tan I’m goin to get onto my oh-so white complexion...

*Switches Metro-sexual KL-ite switch off*

Now...where were we?

Ahhhh yes....so after the regular photo shoot of all participants by the Edge Magazine (a financial broad sheet followed by most players in the industry), a few kindly reminders from the head doctor/ medic support on hand, a cool cheerleading display from La Salle Girls school (or was it a diff school?) and a warm up session by California Fitness.....It’s off to the races !

The CEO 1km race went first and lo & behold....CIMB’s proxy for our CEO (since our CEO is obviously busy as usual masterminding mergers, acquisitions and takeovers) came in first place.

This boosted the spirits of the CIMB camp who were anxiously awaiting to dash at the starting line. Damn RHB might have sent an army of participants with 14 groups of 4-man teams...but CIMB got can-do attitude wan and can rise to the challenge leh !

With all that fired up aggro I ran the first 2 km like a bullet, cutting people off left right and center. There I was, CIMB flag in hand, with my signature blood-red neck tie, in my biggest, most well ventilated workshirt and my favourite pair of striped pants;...running my arse off around the KLCC-Khazanah-Zouk area, in the hopes of crossing that finish line with a respectable finish and contributing some points to Team CIMB.

I hoped too early....

2.5km in....my heart gave out. I was wheezing like an asthmatic donkey on steroids. A thick film of sweat now enveloped my whole bo-dy. I was burning up and turning beetroot red like an overtanned Ah-Mo.

Good God....why oh why did I think this would be a good idea?

----Flashback to lunchtime on the same day as Race Day (cue harps playing in the background & screen dissolves)----

Her: Blablablablablabla...and that’s how you make a purse out of sow’s ears.

Me: (Internally: Wtf??! Acchhh...who cares what ur talking about woman...as long as I get to stare at ur tits...err I meant ur *eyes* all day long, I ain’t complaining! ;-p) Say....guess who’s joining the Rat Race after lunch today?

Her: Who? Tims...the savvy exec with the hot bod and primal piercing eyes to die for??

Me: Err....yes he’s running as well....No..I meant ME !!! I’m running after lunch today in the Rat race..along with err...Tims.... I guess.

Her: Oh...cool. Good luck then! Now where was I...so to make...blablablablablablablablablablablabla

Me: *Sigh*

----End flashback (cue harps playing in background as screen dissolves and we return to camera panning back to frontal face shot-gradually becoming full body shot of me running my arse off)---

Remind me again that the next time I get an ill-conceived idea of impressing women by doing some macho feat of strength and courage, just slap me in the face—HARD, and call me Sally!

Oh well...there’s no place for regrets now...here I am in my office workclothes, sweating like a pig on a feckin’ hot day out of all hot days...and there’s still 2.5km to go. I’ll do some power-walking then instead of running...Acchh!!! I think I sprained some part of my anatomy which is scientifically unpronounceable to the regular man!

Feck...walking all the way back it is then....

2.5km later....and after being cut off by multiple smirking women participants (what can I do if women find me comically cute-kan.... ;-p). I finally saw the finish line yonder upon the horizon above the crest of the hill where the sky meets the earth. And I see photographers lining along the route as well.....

So what’s a macho man to do but act *manly* and sprint enthusiastically past the finish line-kan.... regardless that I was the 350+th person to do it that day....I still want my moment of glory maa....Enter: The Eye of the Tiger theme song and cue frontal full-body slow-mo shot of me running towards the finishing line with a look of steely determination and true grit.

In truth it was more like a half-hopping, half-spastic dashing you’d associate with a rabid bunny that just realized all the other bunnies in the pen were females!

Thank you God!!!

I never thought I’d finish this race.....mah-lo, the last 2.5km was hell....man, I’d never wanna do this ever again no matter how HOT the chicka I was trying to impress is...it’s just not worth putting my health and well-being on the line like that man.... Feck women man...who needs them neways.... Never again I promise!

---Fast forward to the awards giving ceremony later that night---

Me: So....you work for RHB huh? That’s a pretty big squad you guys sent there. No wonder you guys won all of the events except for the women’s and CEO race where my bank managed to snag first place....

Her: Heheh...we can’t hog all the prizes can we...what would all the other banks say. So do you do this kinda running stuff often?

Me: *Sucks in breath and push back shoulders to emphasize manly torso & chest* Why...of course!!! All the time.

Her: Wow...really. Im an avid fan too...so what d’ya say to a 3 km run in the KLCC park this Saturday?

Me: *Smiles sappily* Sure.

*Sigh....here we go again, guys!*

;-p


Note: To those ppl with NO sense of humour whatsoever, certain facts like my issues with women and insecurities for example, in today’s post were intentionally AMPED UP merely for comical effect. I’m actually quite *normal* 24-7-365. Cross my heart and swear to die if I’m lying. What...u dun believe issit??

i REALLY am 'normal' u know!!!

Seriously!!

Dun believe ah...u can call me y’know..... eh u still readin ‘ah??

Hello??

Anybody?

;-)


The CIMB Posse Posted by Picasa