Heyheyhey!

A peek into the twisted mind of a Natural Born Geek! Learn the shocking truth ! Run away crying in agony ! Gasp at the horror! Showing nationwide in all respectable cinema outlets.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Chchchchanges!

U guys might be wondering why I haven't blogged much these days.

Well, to tell u the truth, I'm experiencing difficulties adapting to my final place of confirmation at my workplace after a year being a nomad (in the Management Trainee program), moving from one dpt. to another every 3 months.

I'm not where I currently want to be at the moment, yet HR and their prodigious psyche-profiling skillz have deemed my writing capabilities to be worthy enought to warrant my current spot here on CIMB's multi-award winning Equity Research team.

So what do I do in a nutshell ?

You could say I'm a Financial Reporter/Journalist.

I sniff out all the companies on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange and try to find new leads or companies with a sexy story (i.e. interesting growth prospect) I can use to sell to CIMB's fund managers.

In a way, the job is multi-disciplinary cos it doesn't only require a sharp mind to probe through financial accounts and data, but also a mind with flowery language skillz and good PR skillz since it's up to you to sell or give the company a good twist to make it interesting enough for fund managers with billions of Ringgit to spend but no time to wade thru the info of hundreds of companies on the KLSE.

I'm doing fine with the writing part...but have a really, really hard time understanding the valuation part of research.

I have a history of hating Accounting since my schooldays (I put it down to taking it as an extra subject for my SPM on top of 9 other subjects already, and having a horror tuition teacher as my sole source of accounting help.) and now it has come back to haunt me.

I have to create Microsoft Excel-based models using a company's P&L, Balance Sheet, and CFlow. I know, i know interesting stuff, innit? ;-p

Neways, long story short, I'm not going to be blogging much the next few months...just whenever I have the time to jot down the random thoughts flying in my head.


Don't stop coming back regularly to check up on me tho! :-)